Tuesday 23 February 2010

Caricatures


A few caricatures here from 2006. I had a few good ideas for Michael McDowell at the time which never amounted to anything. This incarnation of him as Dublin 6's Caped Crusader stuck with me - he was always apoplectically ranting about hoodies and misbehaving teens and the like. I envisioned him leading a one-man assault on shop-lifting grannies. Bertie as Superman was just an extension of this, someone for him to play off. Bertie's pretty bad, but there's a look there, I think. The nose isn't right - Bertie's is far more amusing in reality. McDowell is kind of spot-on, though. It's a shame he retired from public office with the Progressive Democrats' demise though - I missed the boat there.


Mary Harney. I did all of these without reference, as I've tried caricaturing from reference before and it kind of messes with your perception of the characters when you're actually looking at them. For caricature, I think it's better to go with the image in your mind's eye; you'll probably nail the persona quicker. Still, reference is good for getting the actual detail right, such as Bertie's nose above, which isn't right at all.


George W. Bush, again from memory. As Commander-in-Chief. These pics are probably defamatory, but hey - satire. I don't think Dubya will be suing me however. Nobody reads this blog anyway. Back to comics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mary looks spectacularly voluptuous which is odd...